Wednesday 10 November 2010

EDWIN MORGAN

I suppose we all have a list of writers whose work we have come across occasionally and enjoyed, but who we have never fully explored. One such poet for me is Edwin Morgan, whose death earlier this year was mourned by his substantial body of admirers, which includes Carol Ann Duffy and Alex Salmond (Morgan was named as the first ever 'national Scottish poet'). I frequently came across his work in anthologies - especially his quirkier 'science fiction' poems, and was delighted by what I read. Sadly, it has taken his passing to convince me finally to read more.

Here's one of the first works of his I met; it's both delightful and seasonal.


"The Computer's First Christmas Card" 1968.

jollymerry
hollyberry
jollyberry
merryholly
happyjolly
jollyjelly
jellybelly
bellymerry
hollyheppy
jollyMolly
marryJerry
merryHarry
hoppyBarry
heppyJarry
boppyheppy
berryjorry
jorryjolly
moppyjelly
Mollymerry
Jerryjolly
bellyhoppy
jorryhoppy
hollymoppy
Barrymerry
Jarryhappy
happyboppy
boppyjolly
jollymerry
merrymerry
merrymerry
merryChris
ammerryasa
Chrismerryas

MERRY CHRYSANTHEMUM


David





No comments: